Tuesday, May 1, 2012

RORY FREEDMAN, author of Skinny Bitch book, Food Revolution Summit

Rory Freedman


Freedman exposes the horror of the food industry in America in her bookd Skinny Bitch, backing her claims and citing Dr. Campbell, author of the China Study and Dr. Esselstyn and others. She makes the relationship with concepts of COMPASSION, CONNECTION AND DISCONNECTION from the idea of loving animals (domestic, pets) and eating other animals. The human psyche purposely wants not to know what goes on in the killing and slaughtering animals before it lands on the supermarkets and in our plates. She says that people do not like change, but change is  necessary to grow, and it needs courage in order to make a change. Health and prevention is one of the most issues in our lives. We all like to eat, we need to eat for survival and we do not want to get sick, so it is time to build consciousness on this topic.
Here is only a small portion of the interview:
Ocean Robbins:   Welcome to The Food Revolution Summit where we explore how you can heal your body and heal your world with food. This is Ocean Robbins and I am joined by my dad, John Robbins in welcoming our guest Rory Freedman.  Rory Freeman is co-author of the number one New York Times bestseller Skinny Bitch; A No-Nonsense, Tough Love Guide for Savvy Girls Who Want to Stop Eating Crap and Start Looking Fabulous. Skinny Bitch has been described as both a wake up call and a kick in the ass as it exposes the horrors of the food industry while inspiring people to eat well and enjoy delicious food.
                               Skinny Bitch spent three years on the New York Times bestseller list. There are now more than 3 million copies in print in 27 languages. Rory has appeared on countless radio and television programs worldwide. She set out to bring food sanity to the masses and I have to say she has succeeded. Rory has a deep sense of ethics and conviction underlying her life and her work. She considers herself to be a proud vegan and animal rights activist.  In fact, Rory was named Veg News Magazine’s first ever Person of the Year. Rory, we are so excited to have you on this call and here to interview you is my dad, John Robbins.
John Robbins:      Thank you Ocean, and Rory we are really glad to have you here with us. It is a privilege to talk with you and help to bring your wisdom, your message and your compassion to our listeners who are eager to hear what you have to say. 
John Robbins:      So many people who love animals and have pets that they consider parts of their family, they give them names and buy their food and pay their vet bills and they may even sleep in the same bed with them and yet they continue to eat meat from other animals whose lives have been nightmares of suffering. Where does this disconnect come from?
Rory Freedman:   I'm not sure I even know myself. I know that I had that same disconnect. I was raised by parents who loved animals and we had pets and every night we sat down to dinner and ate meat. My parents were kind of health conscious too. So, somehow that never got on their radar and it certainly wasn't on my radar.  I remember in college I met someone who is now one of my oldest dearest friends. We were trading stories, trying to get to know each other. We were saying, “Oh my God, I am the biggest animal lover,” and we bonded over how much we loved animals. Eventually she said, “I'm a vegetarian,” and my response was, “Oh my god! I love animals. I'm the biggest animal lover but I could never be a vegetarian.”
                               It was like I had that wrote answer ready in my head. I didn't even know it was in there, but it was in there and that was it. It just wasn't an option for me. It just didn't occur to me and I just didn't know, I really had no idea what was happening to these animals. I think that's why work like yours and the work that so many of these animal rights organizations are doing is so important and so helpful.  Because we live in the disconnect, but most of us are compassionate and once we do see exactly what it is we are contributing to every time we sit down to eat meat, we really have a change of heart. Suddenly the addiction is trumped by the compassion and the connection.
John Robbins:     What helped you to awaken because you said you had a ready made answer to rationalize your meat eating even when you were loving animals? Then something changed for you in a really radical way obviously.
Rory Freedman:  Yes, I had a huge “ah-ha” moment. I was in college, I had already met my friend who was a vegetarian and decided vegetarianism was never something I was going to do or could possibly do. I was eating meat for every meal and then one day I got a magazine in the mail from PETA, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals and I am sure it's because from being an animal lover I had donated a small amount of money to an animal rights charity. I got this magazine in the mail from PETA. In this magazine was an article about factory farming and slaughterhouses and there were pictures in the article.
                               I had never in my life even considered for a second what was happening to cows, chickens and pigs, so that I could eat them. And sitting at my table in my apartment in college, at the University of Maryland in College Park, I could not believe my eyes. I have just never ever felt such sadness and horror and shame that I was part of that. I just knew, “Oh my god, I can't be a part of this ever again. I can't believe this goes on. I can't believe I didn't know this. I can't believe I have been doing this my whole life. I can't believe that the whole world does this. This has to stop.”
                              That was it. I had meat in my freezer, I had planned on eating meat for dinner that night and that was it.  That was the end of that era of my life. From that minute on I never ate another cow, chicken or pig ever again.
 John Robbins:     In your book you describe some of the things that goes on in factory farms, how animals are treated, and in feedlots and in slaughterhouses. I've done the same, I've described in my books these things, these true horrors actually and I felt that most people, if the veil was lifted and they actually saw it, they would be appalled. I mean, you don't have to be an animal rights activist or a vegetarian to want your life to be a statement of compassion and to want your life and your food choices and way of eating to be in alignment with your heart and caring. Yet, so many people, don't want to look, they don't want the veil to be lifted. They will call people like you or me names, or say it is “gross” and that they don't want to see it as though it is okay, as long as they don’t have to look at it. Have you run into that kind of opposition?
Rory Freedman: ... one of the things that Lauren has said to me before and that I really appreciated when we were talking about this issue, was, “Oh, you don't want to see it but you'll eat it.” That just really sticks with me all the time and it is something I say to other people now all the time, “You don't want to see it, but you'll eat it.” I think it is really just the most convenient way for people to avoid making changes and human beings do not like change.  Change is inevitable if we want to grow.

:

No comments:

Post a Comment